(Updated December 2020)
First Win: February 2, 2016 on The Show for “Rough”
Total Wins: 70 (as of December 2020)
50th Music Show Win: January 24, 2019 on M! Countdown for “Sunrise”
Most Awarded Song: “Rough” with 15 wins (as of December 2020)
First Triple Crown: February 18, 2016 on M! Countdown for “Rough”
Total Triple Crowns: 7 (as of December 2020)
GFriend is currently the girl group with the most music show trophies earned in one year, winning 29 total times throughout 2016.
|The Show||Show Champion||M! Countdown||Music Bank||Music Core||Inkigayo||Total Wins|
|Time For the Moon Night||1||2||1||2||2||2||10|
NOTE: There are two reasons why GFriend does not have many trophies from Music Core. The first is that Music Core stopped giving awards for a period of time, and they didn’t reinstate their trophy system until mid-2017. The second is because Source Music was acquired by Big Hit Entertainment in 2019 (after “Fever” promotions), and Big Hit Entertainment has a “rumored” conflict with MBC. As a result, artists from Big Hit and associated labels no longer perform on Music Core as of 2020. You can read more about it here. So as a result, the only songs that were eligible for Music Core wins were the ones released in 2018 and 2019. (Of course, it’s possible that GFriend could still gain a Music Core win without performing on the show – however, it’s not likely.)
Sales and Streaming
- “Rough” placed #1 on Gaon’s overall digital chart and the streaming chart for February .
- “Rough” passed the 100 million streaming mark on January 3. This made GFriend “double 100 million streamers,” as “Me Gustas Tu” had reached that mile sometime in 2016.
- GFriend earned a triple crown on Gaon when “Time for the Moon Night” placed #1 on the digital download chart and the social chart for the week of April 22 – 28 and Time for the Moon Night placed #1 on the album sales chart.
- “Time for the Moon Night” also placed #1 on Gaon’s digital download chart the week of May 6 – 12.
- “Sunrise” placed #1 on Gaon’s digital download chart and social chart the week of January 13 – 19.
- Fever Season was #1 on Gaon’s Album Sales Charts the week of June 30 – July 6.
- Labyrinth was #1 on Gaon’s Album Sales Charts the week of February 2-8.
- Melon, one of South Korea’s largest streaming services, released a chart of the top 100 songs from the last decade (from 2010-2019). GFriend had songs on the chart: “Me Gustas Tu” at #59 and”Rough” at #67.
NOTE: I have chosen to arrange the prizes by awards season, because awards shows don’t technically take place in the same year. So for example, shows like the MNET and Melon Music Awards happen in December, other ones like Gaon Chart and Golden Disc happen a month later in January of the next year, but they’re all awarding the same music. Notable awards such as a bonsang and a daesang are highlighted in bold.
|Gaon Chart Music Awards||New Artist of the Year (Female)|
|Golden Disc Awards||New Artist of the Year|
|MMA (MelOn Music Awards)||Best New Artist (Female)|
|Seoul Music Awards||Best New Artist|
|Gaon Chart Music Awards||Song of the Year – January (for “Rough”)|
|Golden Disc Awards||Digital Bonsang (for “Rough”)|
|MAMA (MNET Asian Music Awards)||Best Dance Performance (Female Group) (for “Rough”)|
|MMA (MelOn Music Awards)||Top 10 Artists|
Best Dance (Female) (for “Rough”)
|Seoul Music Awards||Bonsang Award (for “Rough”)|
|Golden Disc Awards||Best Female Group|
|MMA (MelOn Music Awards)||1theK Performance Award|
|Soribada Best K-Music Awards||Top 11 Artists|
|Golden Disc Awards||Best Female Group|
|MMA (MelOn Music Awards)||Best Music Video (“Time for the Moon Night”)|
|Seoul Music Awards||Best Dance Performance (“Time for the Moon Night”)|
|The Fact Awards||Artist of the Year (Bonsang)|
SOURCES: Wikipedia, Gaon Chart, Melon, Soompi (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)
The featured image is from GFriend’s Twitter account when they won on Show Champion for “MAGO.” You can see the original tweet here.