“We are one! 안녕하세요, EXO입니다!”
It’s undeniable that EXO has been a major player in recent K-pop history. Starting as a 12-member group with subunits concentrated on South Korea and China, they found stardom a year after their debut when their iconic single “Growl” took over the charts in 2013. Though the fandom was shocked by the departure of three out of four Chinese members in 2014 and 2015, EXO reorganized into one main group and came back even stronger. Their star kept rising throughout the rest of the decade as they released hit after hit, and they were largely considered the top boy group in K-pop for many of those years. Their career is filled with highlights and accomplishments, such as selling a million copies of nearly all of their albums and performing at the Pyeongchang Olympics Closing Ceremony in 2018. As EXO’s older members started fulfilling their mandatory military service in 2019, the group started to focus on individual activities such as solo music, acting, and even fashion – many of them are ambassadors for big name fashion labels like Prada, Cartier, Gucci, and Burberry. While EXO is not as active as they used to be in their early years, their popularity and influence is still clearly evident in the K-pop world.
- ACTIVE Members: Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kai, Sehun
- Xiumin finished his military service in December 2020, but currently has yet to do any musical activities with EXO.
- Members ON HIATUS: D.O (military service 2019-present), Suho (military service 2020-present), Chen (military service 2020-present), Lay (individual activities in China 2017-present)
- Former Members: Kris (2012-2014), Luhan (2012-2014), Tao (2012-2015)
- Member Age Range: Members born from 1990 (Xiumin) to 1994 (Kai and Sehun)
- Subunits: EXO-CBX (Chen, Baekhyun, Xiumin) / EXO-SC (Sehun, Chanyeol)
- Agency: SM Entertainment
- Debut Date: April 8, 2012
- Name Meaning: EXO is short for “EXOPLANET,” which refers to a planet outside of our solar system. To add to this supernatural concept, each EXO member has a designated superpower from debut. The group occasionally refers to these superpowers or makes them the theme of their comebacks.
- Twitter: @weareoneEXO
- Instagram: @weareone.exo
- YouTube Channel: @EXOK
- Fandom Name: EXO-L. In the beginning, EXO was divided into the subunits EXO-K (for Korea or K-pop) and EXO-M (for China or Mando-pop). The “L” represents “love.”
- Fandom Color: “Cosmic Latte,” which basically is a fancy term for “gray” or “silver.”
The 3rd version of EXO’s official light stick, released in 2019
NOTE (December 2020): Since I’m doing a lot of blog maintenance at the moment, I have chosen to update the profiles of the members who were part of the last full group comeback (“Obsession”). So although Suho and Chen are currently on hiatus for military service, I did update their profiles because he was active in 2019. The profiles for Xiumin, D.O, and Lay have not been updated since 2017/2018, but I will do so when I have more time. Or if EXO has a comeback when Xiumin and/or D.O. return from their military service. Whichever comes first! Kris, Luhan, and Tao do not have individual pages because I created this profile several years after they had left EXO.
Click on a member’s picture to learn more!
Other EXO Pages
NOTE (September 2020): Since I’m doing a lot of blog maintenance at the moment, I have chosen to skip updating the “Variety Shows” page for now. I will do so when EXO makes another comeback or when I have more spare time.
Click the picture to go to the page!
Music Show Wins
B-Sides I Like
Variety Shows and Essential Content
How I Feel About EXO
NOTE: Most images used on this page are official EXO images for teasers, products, or merchandise; those images belong to SM Entertainment. Some other pictures are also cover images for certain pages I made; they will have their source credit on those specific pages.
The only exception is the “Variety Shows” page, which I haven’t updated yet – the icon picture on this page for the link is a screenshot I took from EXO’s appearance on JTBC’s Knowing Brothers in 2019.