A summary of the news, current and upcoming comebacks, charts and music show wins, and more!
NOTE: Except in special cases, the news recapped in these posts will refer to K-pop only. K-dramas, variety shows, and other forms of entertainment will only be mentioned if there is an idol or idol group involved.
News to Note
- Juri from Rocket Punch will be going on a temporary break for health reasons, and will sit out the rest of promotions for “Ring Ring.” You can read a translation of Woollim Entertainment’s statement about it here.
- The Boyz members Ju Hakyneon and Younghoon will not be fully participating in the group’s Kingdom finale performance due to various injuries. You can read a translation of Cre.ker Entertainment’s statement about it here.
(Wow there’s not much K-pop news this week… I can’t remember the last time this happened!)
This Week’s Debuts and Comebacks
(Please note that I won’t necessarily link every release that came out this week – just the ones that I’m aware of or popped up on my radar. The same is true of the “Coming Up Next Week” category.)
EVERGLOW, “First” (5/25)
woo!ah! “Purple” (5/27)
Mingyu and Wonwoo (SEVENTEEN), “Bittersweet” feat. Lee Hi (special single, 5/28)
GWSN, “Like it Hot” (5/26)
Joy (Red Velvet), “Je T’aime” (pre-release, 5/26)
Coming Up Next Week
|Monday (5/31)||Tuesday (6/1)||Wednesday (6/2)||Thursday (6/3)||Friday (6/4)|
|Joy (Red Velvet)|
|Monsta X||MAMAMOO||Ravi (VIXX)|
This Week’s Music Show Wins
|The Show (SBS MTV)||Oh My Girl, “Dun Dun Dance” (2nd win)|
|Show Champion (MBC)||Oh My Girl, “Dun Dun Dance” (3rd win)|
|M! Countdown (MNET)||NCT Dream, “Hot Sauce” (6th win)|
|Music Bank (KBS)||NCT Dream, “Hot Sauce” (5th and 7th wins)*|
|Music Core (MBC)||BTS, “Butter” (1st win)|
|Inkigayo (SBS)||BTS, “Butter” (2nd win)|
*Last week, Music Bank canceled its broadcast because one of the show’s staff members tested positive for COVID-19. There was no winner announced at the time, but the show revealed that it was NCT Dream early this week. Since the announcement was before M! Countdown, that made it NCT Dream’s 5th win for “Hot Sauce.”
Album Sales, Streaming, and Charting
NOTE 1: Gaon‘s weekly charts reflect the previous week.
NOTE 2: Because not many K-pop songs make it onto the digital charts, I’ll usually only list the Top 5 for album sales and the social chart. This week, I provided the Top 5 of all the charts because there are several K-pop songs. To see a full breakdown of the chart, you can go here.
|Album Sales||NCT Dream, |
Border : Carnival
We Go Up
|Overall Digital||Oh My Girl, “Dun Dun Dance”||Justin Bieber, “Peaches”||Brave Girls,|
|Oh My Girl,|
“Dun Dun Dance”
|Im Young Woong,|
“My Starry Night”
|Social||BTS||Im Young Woong||BLACKPINK||Kim Ho Joong||TWICE|
Other Charts and Sales
- NCT Dream has now passed 2 million sales for their first album Hot Sauce after reaching 1 million last week.
- This weekend, MNET survival show Kingdom released the original songs that the six groups will be performing on the upcoming live finale. The one by The Boyz topped Genie’s realtime chart, becoming their first ever to do so.
The International Side of K-pop
- BTS international news for this week:
- BTS won all four Billboard Awards they were nominated for: Top Social Artist (5th year in a row), Top Duo/Group, Top Song Sales Artist, and Top Selling Song (for “Dynamite”). They also performed “Butter” for the first time at the awards ceremony, which you can watch here. (While this all technically happened on Sunday May 23rd, I’m including it in this week’s recap because I’m in South Korea and it was already Monday here when the awards happened.)
- “Butter” debuted at #26 on Billboard‘s Pop Songs Radio Airplay Chart, which is their highest debut on said chart to date.
- BTS also appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert this week. They performed “Butter” and did a short segment with Stephen Colbert that you wan watch here.
- “Butter” broke five Guinness World Records: most watched music video premiere on YouTube, most watched premiere on YouTube (for any kind of video), most watched K-pop music video on YouTube within the first 24 hours, most watched music video on YouTube within the first 24 hours, and most streamed song on Spotify within the first 24 hours.
- “Butter” debuted at #3 on the UK’s Official Singles Chart.
- Rosé from BLACKPINK’s “On The Ground” has passed 100 million streams on Spotify, making it the fastest song by a Korean female soloist AND a Korean artist to do so.
- ENHYPEN’s latest mini-album Border : Carnival debuted at #18 on the Billboard 200 chart this week.
- The following music videos hit new viewer milestones on YouTube:
- TWICE’s “What is Love?” is now their fastest music video to reach 500 million views.
- SEVENTEEN’s “Don’t Wanna Cry” is their first music video to pass 200 million views.
- iKON’s “Love Scenario” is their first music video to hit 500 million views.
- BTS’s “Butter” reached 200 million views in less than a week, making it the fastest music video to ever do so (for any music video, not just K-pop).
- SuperM’s “Jopping” is their first music video to reach 100 million views.
- TXT’s “Blue Hour” is their second music video to pass 100 million views.
Notable Variety Shows Featuring K-pop Idols
|Weekly Idol||Knowing Brothers||Amazing Saturday|
|This Week||aespa||aespa*||NU’EST (Minhyun and Ren)|
|Next Week||Monsta X||aespa||Non-idol guests|
*While I didn’t watch this week’s episode of Knowing Brothers, it appears that aespa made a brief appearance in it and that they will be the main guests of the episode next weekend.
SOURCES NOTE: I get my news from a mix of sources, and all of them report the same information and sometimes cite each other as well. So rather than linking the exact article for each and every news item (unless the article provides a lot more detail), I will cite my general news sources below. Each of them will most likely have an article and/or tweet providing more details on the item in question.
FEATURED IMAGE SOURCE: Yuehua Entertainment (EVERGLOW)
VIDEO SOURCES: YouTube, HYBE (BTS “Butter” performance at Billboard awards), The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, NV Entertainment (woo!ah!), Pledis Entertainment (SEVENTEEN)*, SM Entertainment (Joy), The Wave Music (GWSN), Yuehua Entertainment (EVERGLOW)**
*Music video for “Bittersweet” is distributed by HYBE Labels.
**Music video for “First” is distributed by Stone Music Entertainment.