A summary of the news, current and upcoming comebacks, charts and music show wins, and more!
NOTE: Except in special cases, the news recapped in these posts will refer to K-pop only. K-dramas, variety shows, and other forms of entertainment will only be mentioned if there is an idol or idol group involved.
News to Note
- MNET, HYBE, and BE:LIFT LAB are launching the second season of survival show I-LAND. (The first season formed boy group ENHYPEN last year). This time a girl group will be made, and any females born between 2000 and 2009 are eligible to apply online. The show itself is planned to air in early 2022.
- Oh My Girl’s Arin and TXT’s Soobin have stepped down as MCs for Music Bank, and they hosted their last episode on Friday, October 1st. They will be replaced by Jang Wonyoung (formerly of IZ*ONE) and ENHYPEN’s Sunghoon, who will start their host duties on Friday, October 8th.
- YG Entertainment confirmed that iKON’s Bobby recently welcomed a baby boy with his fiancee. Bobby had personally informed fans and the general public they were expecting through an Instagram post last month.
- Big Bang member Taeyang is also expecting a baby with his wife, actress Min Hyorin.
- 220 Entertainment announced that Park Seoham has departed from boy group KNK after five years. You can read a translation of their statement about it here.
- The Fact Music Awards took place on Saturday, October 2nd. You can see a list of the winners here.
- Starship Entertainment informed the public that an unknown woman trespassed into their building and approached one of the members of CRAVITY. (It appears from their statement that she made physical contact with him.) The group’s manager called the police, and an officer came and escorted her off the premises. You can read a translation of Starship’s statement about it here.
This Week’s Debuts and Comebacks
(Please note that I won’t necessarily link every release that came out this week – just the ones that I’m aware of or popped up on my radar. The same is true of the “Coming Up Next Week” category.)
Key (SHINee), “Bad Love” (9/27)
Ciipher, “Blind” (9/28)
TWICE, “The Feels” (English single, 10/1)
AB6IX, “Cherry” (9/27)
“Icons” by HOT ISSUE (9/30)
CL, “Lover Like Me” (pre-release, 9/29)
Coming Up Next Week
|Monday (10/4)||Tuesday (10/5)||Wednesday (10/6)||Thursday (10/7)||Friday (10/8)|
This Week’s Music Show Wins
|The Show (SBS MTV)||NCT 127, “Sticker” (4th win)|
|Show Champion (MBC)||NCT 127, “Sticker” (5th win)|
|M! Countdown (MNET)||NCT 127, “Sticker” (6th win)|
|Music Bank (KBS)||NCT 127, “Sticker” (7th win)|
|Music Core (MBC)||NCT 127, “Sticker” (8th win)|
|Inkigayo (SBS)||NCT 127, “Sticker” (9th win)|
Congratulations to NCT 127 for getting a “grand slam” and winning on every music show this week!
Album Sales, Streaming, and Charting
NOTE: Gaon‘s weekly charts reflect the previous week. To see a full breakdown of the chart, you can go here.
|Album Sales||NCT 127, |
Crazy in Love
|Yang Yoseob, |
|Overall Digital||The Kid LAROI and Justin Bieber,|
|D-Hack and PATEKO,|
“OHAYO MY NIGHT”
|Streaming||The Kid LAROI and Justin Bieber,|
|MSG Wannabe (M.O.M),|
|D-Hack and PATEKO,|
“OHAYO MY NIGHT”
|Coldplay and BTS,|
|Im Young Woong,|
“My Starry Love”
|The Kid LAROI and Justin Bieber,|
|Social||BTS||BLACKPINK||Lisa||Im Young Woong||CL|
According to Hanteo, ITZY now has the 4th highest first week sales for girl groups in the chart’s history. (The first three are BLACKPINK, IZ*ONE, and TWICE.)
The International Side of K-pop
- NCT 127’s Sticker debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200, which is now their highest ranking on the chart. (2018’s Regular-Irregular debuted at #86, 2019’s We Are Superhuman debuted at #11, and last year’s Neo Zone debuted at #5.)
- Sticker also placed #1 on Billboard‘s World Albums Sales chart, Top Album Sales chart, Top Current Album Sales chart, and Independent Albums sales chart.
- BTS’s “Butter” ranked #24 on Billboard‘s “Hot 100” in its 18th week on the chart.
- BTS announced that they are holding an offline concert in Los Angeles on November 27th, November 28th, December 1st, and December 2nd. This will be their first offline concert in two years. You can read more details about it here.
- Coldplay and BTS’s collaboration “My Universe” was the best-selling single in the UK this week, placing #1 on the Official Singles Sales Chart, the Official Singles Downloads Chart, and the Official Physical Singles Chart. It also placed #3 on the Official Singles Chart.
- Monsta X will be part of the iHeartRadio Jingle Ball tour for the third time.
- ITZY performed their new song “LOCO” on The Kelly Clarkson Show, which you can watch here.
- TWICe performed their new English single “The Feels” on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, which you can watch here.
- J-Hope and Becky G’s “Chicken Noodle Soup” reached 300 million views on YouTube.
Notable Variety Shows Featuring K-pop Idols
|Weekly Idol||Knowing Brothers||Amazing Saturday|
|This Week||ITZY||Super Junior D&E, Young Tak, Lee Chanwon (300th episode special)||Mijoo (Lovelyz) and Lee Sangyeob|
|Next Week||N.Flying||Non-idol guests||Karina and Winter (aespa)|
SOURCES NOTE: I get my news from a mix of sources, and all of them report the same information and sometimes cite each other as well. So rather than linking the exact article for each and every news item (unless the article provides a lot more detail), I will cite my general news sources below. Each of them will most likely have an article and/or tweet providing more details on the item in question.
FEATURED IMAGE SOURCE: TWICE’s Twitter Account (original image and tweet here)
VIDEO SOURCES: YouTube, Brand New Entertainment (AB6IX), CL’s YouTube channel, JYP Entertainment (TWICE), Rain Company (Ciipher), S2 Entertainment (HOT ISSUE), SM Entertainment (Key), The Kelly Clarkson Show, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon